Skip to main content

Featured

My first proper Earthquake!

 Last night at 3.07am was woken to everything moving, bedroom cupboard door rattling and general WTF moment! This is my first really quake, the previous one I had felt while I was offshore in Qatar, but thought that was just the crane driver being a bit rough with a load landing. Last nights was different, the whole place was shaking and lying it bed it felt really weird last a good 20+ seconds I would have guessed. Turns out it was a Magnitude 6.6, located around 48Km WNW of Polis, off the west coast of Cyprus. At least no damage here and everyone fine. Eldest daughter thought it was 'so cool', think that was her first experience of one as well. Full details can be found at: https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us7000gaqu/executive

Out in the rain on the ATV

We have a lot of rain lately, so I decided to head out on my ATV to have a look around and see how much water was entering into the Mavrokolympos Reservoir and how much the tracks and were being cut up by the rain.

I had my GoPro Max camera mounted on the quad, and it was recording in 360.

Heading down the Adonis Baths tracks to see how much the rivers had risen. Then around and down to Mavrokolympos Reservoir to see the 2nd crossing at the head of the reservoir.

The first crossing near Adonis Baths was deeper than I expected, as the water was up my legs, filling my trainers. The bit that surprised me the most, or should I say, caught me unawares, was when the quad started to get pushed across, and I knew there was a drop off at the edge somewhere! Fortunately caught across, all be it a bit wet.

The first cross is here on the map: https://goo.gl/maps/NDGAEThuDypk6GT78

Here is a snapshot from the crossing.



I then headed down to the 2nd crossing, but it was flowing a lot faster at the far side, and could see the drop off to my right, so didn't attempt to cross as I was out on my own and didn't fancy trying to recover the bike from a water filled hole on my own and having a long wet walk home! The first crossing was enough.....

The second crossing is here on the map: https://goo.gl/maps/YKmkuHBeYWcv2ArJA

Here is the full 360 video on YouTube, remember, you can move around inside the video and see all around the bike.


Anyway, it was a grand run out!

Comments

Popular Posts