Skip to main content

Featured

My first proper Earthquake!

 Last night at 3.07am was woken to everything moving, bedroom cupboard door rattling and general WTF moment! This is my first really quake, the previous one I had felt while I was offshore in Qatar, but thought that was just the crane driver being a bit rough with a load landing. Last nights was different, the whole place was shaking and lying it bed it felt really weird last a good 20+ seconds I would have guessed. Turns out it was a Magnitude 6.6, located around 48Km WNW of Polis, off the west coast of Cyprus. At least no damage here and everyone fine. Eldest daughter thought it was 'so cool', think that was her first experience of one as well. Full details can be found at: https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us7000gaqu/executive

There is a screw loose!

And it found itself lodged in my ATV tyre!


Wasn't losing any air fortunately, and I only noticed it by chance when I went to pick my daughter up from school and was standing waiting for her. The tyre position was such that the screw was starring me in the face.

I popped out to the local DIY shop and picked up one of these tyre plug kits only cost a few euro.

I had been planning on getting one of these sets anyway for when we are out on the ATV up the mountains etc. just in case we get a puncture.

I unscrewed the screw from the tyre a bit to get hold of its head with the pliers, then prepared the repair plug. They are really sticky and then put it onto the fork tool. Next, took the serrated spike and removed the screw and forced the spike into the hole. Coated the repair plug in rubber cement, and then worked the spike in the hole a bit to roughen up the surface. Put a small amount of cement on the hole and jammed the fork spike with the plug into the hole. It was really really tight and took some effort. Pushed it in until about 1 to 1.5 cm was sill protruding out of the tyre and then removed the fork leaving the plug in place. Left it to settle for a while, then trimmed back the excess.



I checked the tyre pressure before and after and only lost 1 psi during the repair. (9 down to 8). The following day, I checked the pressure was still holding and then took it out for a run on the roads to make sure it was fine. I have subsequently took it off road as well to see how it is behaving and all appears good.

Comments

Popular Posts