Skip to main content

Featured

My first proper Earthquake!

 Last night at 3.07am was woken to everything moving, bedroom cupboard door rattling and general WTF moment! This is my first really quake, the previous one I had felt while I was offshore in Qatar, but thought that was just the crane driver being a bit rough with a load landing. Last nights was different, the whole place was shaking and lying it bed it felt really weird last a good 20+ seconds I would have guessed. Turns out it was a Magnitude 6.6, located around 48Km WNW of Polis, off the west coast of Cyprus. At least no damage here and everyone fine. Eldest daughter thought it was 'so cool', think that was her first experience of one as well. Full details can be found at: https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us7000gaqu/executive

Back again!

Back in Cyprus after my 1st official rotation offshore from here.

Arriving off the afternoon flight, came through the airport relatively quickly, then outside to phone for the car park bus to come and collect me. The bus was already sat outside, but the driver was no where to be seen, he must have recently dropped someone off at the airport as there was no one else waiting. After a few minutes he arrived and I jumped in.

Couple of minutes in the bus and round to the car park. The driver dropped me off right at the car. I threw my bags in and this is when the 'hope it starts' feeling kicks in! Pressing the engine start, she fires up. Yah! So it should, it is a new car, and only been sat there in for 3 weeks, ok, it has been in the heat for 3 weeks and that can do funny things to the battery, but all is good. Stopped at the office to pay for the parking, and you really can't complain at €67 for 3 weeks.

I knew the car was low on fuel, but wanted to see how far I could get on 1 tank, so decided not to fill it up and just drive back to Paphos as long as my nerves could hold out. The drive back was effortless, simply popped the cruise control on and sat there.

I made it back to the villa right on schedule at just after 9.30pm, and by now, the computer was saying refuel and 30km remaining. Think I'll be refuelling first thing in the morning!

Went into the villa, had a check around that everything was ok, and then simply headed into bed knackered.

At least I'm back.......

Comments

Popular Posts