Skip to main content

Featured

My first proper Earthquake!

 Last night at 3.07am was woken to everything moving, bedroom cupboard door rattling and general WTF moment! This is my first really quake, the previous one I had felt while I was offshore in Qatar, but thought that was just the crane driver being a bit rough with a load landing. Last nights was different, the whole place was shaking and lying it bed it felt really weird last a good 20+ seconds I would have guessed. Turns out it was a Magnitude 6.6, located around 48Km WNW of Polis, off the west coast of Cyprus. At least no damage here and everyone fine. Eldest daughter thought it was 'so cool', think that was her first experience of one as well. Full details can be found at: https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us7000gaqu/executive

Time to go home....(to Doha)

Well it has been an interesting trip to Cyprus.

From the hike up the hills, to the tears over school tests, to the viewing of the villa's, I think we have achieved quite a bit.

As I said in an earlier post, at least we have achieved the two main objectives for the trip:

  • School places
  • Somewhere to live

Now it will just be a chaotic next couple of months in Doha, getting the house packed up and shipped off to here.

Anyway, we left the hotel and headed for the airport at Larnaca. Unfortunately, due to a lack of concentration on my part, I can't remember what we were all yapping on about, but when you see a person in a fluorescent jacket step out into the road, you know it isn't going to be good. I took my foot off the accelerator and was ready to apply the brakes. Initially I thought he was going for the car in front, but alas no. It was the local police and they were pulling me over. Yes, rumbled for speeding. After a small discussion and and given we were heading to the airport, the nice man gave me a warning and a receipt for the warning.

Still hard to find the speed limit for the area we were in was as low as it was, as there was no buildings, nearby, no hazards or obstructions, just a flat, straight road in the middle of nowhere. Now we know to be more careful! So does the guy who got pulled over while we were being dealt with.

Making it to the airport, needless to say, N&M managed to find things to buy (aka makeup) and I also bumped into someone that I hadn't seen for a number of years who was transiting through Cyprus! Small world...

See you in the Summer Cyprus!r

Comments

Popular Posts