Skip to main content

Featured

My first proper Earthquake!

 Last night at 3.07am was woken to everything moving, bedroom cupboard door rattling and general WTF moment! This is my first really quake, the previous one I had felt while I was offshore in Qatar, but thought that was just the crane driver being a bit rough with a load landing. Last nights was different, the whole place was shaking and lying it bed it felt really weird last a good 20+ seconds I would have guessed. Turns out it was a Magnitude 6.6, located around 48Km WNW of Polis, off the west coast of Cyprus. At least no damage here and everyone fine. Eldest daughter thought it was 'so cool', think that was her first experience of one as well. Full details can be found at: https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us7000gaqu/executive

Packing Box Collection........new chair and garden stuff.......

I had emailed the local shipping company before I left Qatar to come and pick up the boxes the following week, however, I got a message back from them that they would pick it up today. I had requested they let me know in advance, so that I could be in as I had a few things to do today.

So after getting up and pottering about, I was just getting ready to head out and my mobile rang. I answered, and as I answered I happened to walk towards the kitchen window and noticed the removal company van sat at the bottom of the drive. Plenty warning then...

Anyway, wend down and opened up the garage, and gave the guy a hand to load everything in, it was a tight squeeze, but just managed to get everything fitted into his van, with a few box emptying and shoving paper and bubble wrap into odd spaces. Off he went.

Next up was to go and get fuel. Despite the car saying there was however many km left last night when I parked, this morning it said it was empty empty. Not even telling me how many km left, and simply a big Refuel warning and not even a hint of a single pixel of fuel on the fuel gauge! this could be interesting. I headed off down the hill, trying to remember where the nearest fuel station was. Eventually popped out at one, so pulled in. Over here you have to pay first, but I had no idea how much a completely empty tank would take. I knew the first time I refuel, it took €50, but it wasn't empty, so I took a guess at €60. It took it all no problem.

I headed to the DIY shop as I was needing a couple of things. First up was a garden hose hanger. There is a hose near to the outdoor pool shower, that is just dumped on the ground, and looks untidy, and collects all the bits that falls from the fir trees. I also needed to get some BBQ coals, BBQ gas regulator, lighter fluid. I was also needing an office chair as didn't have one. In Qatar I had been using a spare fixed height kitchen chair, and it was the most un-comfy thing to use at a desk. Ended up with a gaming chair that had everything adjustable, reclines all the way back (for those feet on desk moments) and adjustable/removable cushions.



After the getting home, I headed back out to do another food shop. Then came home and fitted the hose hanger.

Comments

Popular Posts