Skip to main content

Featured

My first proper Earthquake!

 Last night at 3.07am was woken to everything moving, bedroom cupboard door rattling and general WTF moment! This is my first really quake, the previous one I had felt while I was offshore in Qatar, but thought that was just the crane driver being a bit rough with a load landing. Last nights was different, the whole place was shaking and lying it bed it felt really weird last a good 20+ seconds I would have guessed. Turns out it was a Magnitude 6.6, located around 48Km WNW of Polis, off the west coast of Cyprus. At least no damage here and everyone fine. Eldest daughter thought it was 'so cool', think that was her first experience of one as well. Full details can be found at: https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us7000gaqu/executive

Medical Insurance

After dropping off the kids at school, it was time to head to the bank again. We had an appointment at 9am with the Medical Insurance representative.

With some time to kill, headed to the DIY shop as I was needing a new 20A Distribution board MCB. While I was scouting around the house, I had turned off one of the breakers to see if the marking tied up to markings on one of the wall switches. Sadly they didn't, but this also introduced a problem. The breaker just wouldn't stay reset. I guess it had never really been off, and it was tired. It just kept randomly tripping, even with nothing plugged into the circuits.

The DIY shop didn't have any, but told us where to get from the electrical wholesaler. Eventually we found it and walked in asked for what I wanted and in about 10 seconds had one in my hand. Being Cyprus, I was waiting for a killer price tag to match, but was pleasantly surprised at the pricey sum of €2. Screw-fix and B&Q in the UK are charging at least double this, and even more for the premium brands.

We next stopped off at the bookshop again. M was needing some A3 paper as she had to make a poster for a school assignment.

Then it was off to the bank. Arrived on time and met with the agent. She told me that I will have to get a quick check by a doctor, seeing as I declared my High BP and was on medication. Thought this would be set up for the following week or something like that, but nope, it was straight after the meeting at the bank. Anyway, all paperwork/contracts/bank direct debits etc. and initial premium all paid up/signed and we headed off. The medical clinic 'St. George Polyclinic' was just round the corner. We walked in, the lift was already on the 3rd floor were we wanted, but no amount of pressing the 'up' button made the lift come to us. Had to press the 'down', very bizarre.


Anyway, went to the reception desk and the woman pointed me to the doctors office. Knocked on his open door and went in. He was sat waiting. Anyway, filled in a form, he had a poke about with his stethoscope, took my BP and we were finished, off we went.

Went back to the villa and had a couple of hours in the sun before it was time to pick up the kids from school. After school, took the kids for an ice-cream that N had promised S at the end of the school week.

Time for home, into the pool for a bit, swapped out the faulty MCB that I had purchased earlier, dinner, TV and done for the day!


Comments

Popular Posts